1.1. Project background¶
The SEOM Sentinel-3 for Science, Land Study 1: SNOW (referred as ‘S3-SNOW’ in the following) is “to develop, implement and validate algorithms for deriving several key snow parameters from Sentinel 3 optical satellite data, appropriate for addressing ESA’s Cryosphere challenge C3 : “Seasonal snow, lake/river ice and land ice, their effect on the climate system, water resources, energy and carbon cycles: the representa<on of terrestrial cryosphere in land surface, atmosphere and climate models”. See  for details.
As a successor of S3-SNOW, a new one-year project named SICE (Sentinel-3 snow and ice products) was established in 2019, with the particular goal to determine a dry/wet snow and clean/polluted bare ice spectral and broadband optical albedo 1 km daily product for land ice (glaciers, ice caps, ice sheet). Within SICE, both algorithms and corresponding data processors and software were updated and further improved. The relevant changes of the processors and software will be described in this updated version of the SUM.
1.2. Purpose and Scope¶
This document is the User Manual for the SNAP processors written in Java which have been developed in the frame of the S3-SNOW project and its successor SICE. Its purpose is to describe in detail how to obtain, install and operate these processors. Also, a comprehensive overview of the related data products (input as well as intermediate and final products) is provided.
The explicit structure of the document is as follows:
- Scientific Exploitation of Operational Missions (SEOM) Sentinel-3 for Science, Land Study 1: SNOW: Technical, Management/Administrative, Implementation, Financial and Contractual Proposal. Issue 1, Revision 1, 16 March 2016.
- Kokhanovsky, A., Box, J.E., Lamare, M., Dumont, M., Picard, G., Danne, O., and C. Brockmann: Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document: Snow Properties Retrieval from Sentinel-3. Version 2.2, 8 November 2018.
- Sentinel-3 OLCI User Guide, available at: https://sentinel.esa.int/web/sentinel/user-guides/sentinel-3-olci
- S3-SNOW Project Web Site, available at: http://seom.esa.int/page_project032.php
- The Sentinel Application Platform (SNAP) Web Site, available at: http://step.esa.int/main/toolboxes/snap/
- CoastColour Project Web Site, available at: http://www.coastcolour.org
- OceanColour Project Web Site, available at: http://www.esa-oceancolour-cci.org
- Bourg, L. (2009): MERIS Level 2 Detailed Processing Model. ACRI-ST, Document No. PO-TN-MEL-GS-0006, 15 July 2009.
- Sentinel-3A Product Notice: OLCI Level-2 Ocean Colour, available at: https://www.eumetsat.int/website/wcm/idc/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dDocName=PDF_S3A_PN_OLCI_L2_REP&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&Rendition=Web
- Pre-operational Sentinel-3 snow and ice products (SICE) web site. available at: http://snow.geus.dk
- Kokhanovsky, A., Lamare, M., Di Mauro, B., Picard, G., Arnaud, L., Dumont, M., Tuzet, F., Brockmann, C., and J.E. Box: On the reflectance spectroscopy of snow. The Cryosphere, 12, 2371-2382, 20 July 2018
1.4. Acronyms and Abbreviations¶
|ATBD||Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document|
|BEAM||Basic ERS & Envisat (A)ATSR and Meris Toolbox|
|BRR||Bottom-of-atmosphere Rayleigh Reflectance|
|CCI||Climate Change Initiative|
|CLI||Command Line Interface|
|DEM||Digital Elevation Model|
|ESA||European Space Agency|
|GIMP||Greenland Ice Mapping Project|
|GPF||Graph Processing Framework|
|GUI||Graphical User Interface|
|IdePix||Identification of Pixels|
|JDK||Java Development Kit|
|MERIS||Medium Resolution Imaging Spectrometer|
|NDSI||Normalised Difference Snow Index|
|NetCDF||Network Common Data Form|
|OLCI||Ocean and Land Colour Instrument|
|PPA||Probability of Photon Absorption|
|SEOM||Scientific Exploitation of Operational Missions|
|SICE||Sentinel-3 Snow and Ice|
|SNAP||Sentinel Application Platform|
|SPP||Snow Properties Processor|
|SUM||Software User Manual|
|TOA||Top Of Atmosphere|